Kennel Wayosi is located in Fetsund, 30 minutes outside Oslo – Norway. We live in the middle of the forrest with a lot of space and nature around us.
We own and breed Rhodesian Ridgebacks, and german working line Airedale terriers with focus on working abilities and functionality. Our kennelname Wayosi was approved by FCI (Fédération Cynologique Internationale) and NKK (Norsk Kennel Klub) in March 2011. “Wayo” means footprint in Swahili, while the “S” stands for Sheriff and “I” stands for Isi. For us Wayosi means “in the footprints of Sheriff and Isi”, our tribute to the first two own dogs of each breed that started our dog adventure.
My family have had dogs since before I was born; Airedaleterriers since 1978 and Riesenschnauzers since 1993, and have had several SAR-dogs (search and rescue) besides from competing in obedience and working trials. I bought my first Rhodesian Ridgeback in 2005 followed by my first Airedale in 2009. Since I was very young my life have been centered around dogs and dog training. Because of this I have had the privilege to learn a lot about mentality, health and training dogs from my family.
My ambitions for these two breeds mainly goes towards preserving mental and physical qualities that both Rhodesian Ridgeback and Airedale terrier was bred for. Our aim is to breed as close to the origin as possible, and we wish that dogs from us should in largely fulfill the breed standard in terms of function and health. In both breeds, this would mean that we want to breed self confident dogs with good nerves, with all the physical and mental qualities needed to meet the breed’s origins. Through our breeding program, we will do our utmost to achieve this.
Our breeding plans is planned based on long-term goals and thoughts, and we only breed combinations and individuals we believe would give the types of dog we would own ourself.
Mentality and health is our main concern, and we would never compromise! We believe that a dog with good nerves who could handle every situation being presented to it during working, hunting or every day life, also would be the perfect companion and family dog. They should be their families pride and joy, the protector of the house and the best friend to their owners and family.
Different quality assessments are used as a base for our breeding program: mentality assessments, working trials, exterior judgments (shows) and health controls (HD/ED x-ray, cardio test, DNA-tests, yearly check for hypothyroidism, eye examination etc). We want to preserve and strengthen the good qualities and improve what could be better.
We don’t strive after breeding show champions, but our main focus is on mentality and health. We put the bar high concerning what qualities we feel fit for breeding. We want to see “Wayosies” happy and with loads of self esteem and attitude, unafraid and playful, moderate guarding instincts, willingness to cooperate and please their leader, but at the same time have their own will and loads of dignity. Our puppies could by many be perceived as very active the first years, but with the right training the puppies will be easy dogs with humor and great attitude even in adulthood.
Find literature about mentality and genetics here!
- Trained dog trainer from the Norwegian Kennel Club level 1 (NKK instruktør trinn 1) since 2008.
- Approved rally obedience instructor from the Norwegian Rally Obedience Club since 2015.
- On the board for the Norwegian Kennel Club region Oslo/Akershus (NKK region Oslo/Akershus)
- Chairman for the local dog club – Fet og Omegn Hundeklubb
- Leader for the mentality committee of the Norwegian Rhodesian Ridgeback club from 2010-2015.
- Member of the committee for breeding, health and mentality in Norwegian Rhodesian Ridgeback club since 2018.
- I have previously been board member for the Norwegian Kennel Club region Oslo/Akershus (NKK region Oslo/Akershus), Stovner Hundeklubb (vice chairman, board member), Norwegian Rhodesian Ridgeback club (vice chairman, board member) and Airedale terrier breed group (board member).